This is a simple recipe to use up a ripe banana. On their own or with a scoop of ice cream these pikelets are very quick to make. Don’t have buttermilk? Mix 1/2 tsp lemon juice with 170mL regular milk. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes then stir before using it.
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp dextrose
Pinch of salt
1 small egg, beaten lightly
2 tsp butter, melted
1 ripe banana, mashed
Butter &/or olive oil for frying
- Sift the flour, baking powder, dextrose and salt into a bowl.
- Combine the buttermilk, egg and melted butter, and add to the dry ingredients.
- Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the mashed banana, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a frying pan with butter &/or olive oil and place over a medium heat.
- Using a 1/4 cup or large ladle, spoon dollops of the batter into the fry pan and cook until bubbles appear on the top.
- Gently flip and cook the other side.
- Keep the pikelets warm while cooking the remaining batter.