(Adapted from The Food Network)
Unexpected guests? These bite-sized pastry treats can be whipped up in under 30 minutes. For a savoury version, substitute finely grated parmesan for the dextrose and salt.
Makes approximately 15.
1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
2 generous tbsp dextrose
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 230ºC.
- While the pastry is defrosting, mix the dextrose and salt together.
- Spread about ½ of the dextrose mixture on a clean workbench and place the pastry on top.
- Gently press down on the pastry so that the dextrose starts to stick.
- Turn the pastry over and sprinkle almost all of the remaining dextrose mixture on top, spreading it as evenly as possible.
- Tightly roll one end of the pastry into the middle, then roll the other side in.
- Slice the pastry roll into 1cm slices and arrange on a lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle any remaining dextrose mixture on to each slice.
- Bake the palmiers for 5-6 minutes, then use a spatula to turn them over and bake for another 3-4 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.