(Adapted from Primal Living)
This moist and delicious cake contains no flour and no dairy. Served warm or at room temperature, this cake is perfect as-is or with some cream poured over the top. Makes 1 small (20cm x 2cm) cake.
- Wash the orange and submerge in a saucepan of water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 hours to soften the skin. Top up with water as needed to keep the orange submerged.
- Remove the orange from the saucepan and allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut the orange into small pieces, including the skin.
- Puree the orange pieces. Using a sieve, allow some of the juice to drain from the puree for 3-5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan-forced).
- Grease a 20cm springform cake tin. Line with baking paper and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and rice malt syrup in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the orange puree, vanilla essence and almond meal.
- Gently fold in the baking powder until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 1 hour.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.